How to make tofu firmer (removing water)
How to press tofu:
- Cut the soft tofu into blocks or slices.
- Put the pieces in between multiple layers of paper towels, on top and bottom.
- Put a weight of about one kilogram on top of it for 15-30 minutes.
- IF YOU’RE FANCY: you can buy a tofu press ($20-40 on Amazon)
IMPORTANT: Change the paper towels a couple of times (especially if you are pressing tofu for more than 1/2 hour). This is important to keep things clean, and to make sure the maximum amount of water gets absorbed.
How to ‘dry fry’ to remove water:
- Essentially: fry the tofu on small heat to let the water to evaporate.
- Use a nonstick pan with no oil.
- Fry it on both sides.
What this is helpful for:
- Marinating (tofu is full of water, by pressing it out it is possible to replace the old, bland flavor with spiced/flavored water to make the tofu even more delicious.
IMPORTANT: Because tofu has a lot of water in it (even after it has been pressed or dry fried) it is important to remember to stay away from marinades containing oil.